[:en]Rights and Planning Guide: Part 3 Immigration 101[:es]Guía de Derechos y Planeación: Parte 3 – Inmigración 101[:]


[:en]Below please find a list of some immigration benefits for which you may be eligible. Find an immigration attorney or DOJ representative to help you find out if you indeed qualify for a green card, work permit or visa, or protect yourself from deportation. If you think you qualify for one of the following benefits, talk to your immigration attorney or DOJ representative FIRST. Do not attempt to apply for any of these benefits by yourself as you may risk being placed in removal proceedings.

1. Family Members’ Petition. Under current immigration law, only certain Legal Permanent Resident and U.S. Citizen relatives may petition for their undocumented immigrant relative. The undocumented relative may have to consular process in their home country, depending on how they entered the U.S. Also, that undocumented relative may trigger a 3-year, 10-year or permenent bar to re-entering the U.S. when they leave to attend their consular interview. While there are waivers to the time bars available for certain relatives of U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents, it is important to consult an experienced immigration attorney to analyze the likelihood of the grant of a waiver.

2. Cancellation of Removal. Cancellation of removal not only “cancels” or stops your removal proceedings, but it may also lead to lawful permanent residency in some circumstances. Cancellation of removal may be available to Legal Permanent Residents and Undocumented Immigrants:

a. A Legal Permanent Resident in removal proceedings may qualify for cancellation of removal if they have: i. Been a permanent resident for more than 5 years; ii. Have 7 years of continuous residence in the U.S.; and iii. Good moral character.

b. An Undocumented person in removal proceedings may qualify for cancellation of removal if they have: i. 10 years of continuous residence in the U.S.; ii. Good moral character; and iii. A qualifying relative.

3. Asylum. Asylum is a form of relief for individuals that fear persecution in their home country because their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. You must apply for asylum within the first year of your last arrival to the U.S. If you did not apply in your first year in the U.S., you will have additional barriers to overcome in order to qualify for asylum. a. NOTE: Asylum cases are extremely difficult to win. Due to the immigration courts’ heavy case load, asylum cases are taking a long time to be processed. Unfortunately, some unethical attorneys have used this backlog to their advantage by promising clients a work permit in 6 months by applying for asylum, even when they know the case has no merit. Years later, the asylum applicant who received a work permit has to fight their case in court because their application was denied. Due to the application lacking merit, the asylum applicant is eventually ordered deported.

4. Violence Against Women Act’s (VAWA) Battered Spouses, Children, & Parents. Undocumented or documented spouses, parents or children of a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident who have been victims of abuse at the hands of their U.S. citizen spouse, parent, or child can apply for an immigrant visa petition (a green card).

5. U-Visa. Undocumented immigrants can apply for this visa (work permit) if they have suffered from a qualifying crime in the U.S. and are willing or have been able to assist law enforcement and government officials in the investigation and/or prosecution of the criminal activity. After 3 years with the U-visa, the U-visa recipient can apply for a green card.

6. Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS). SIJS is available to undocumented children who have been abused, abandoned or neglected by one or both of their parents and whose best interest is to remain in the U.S. After a state court finds the aforementioned, the child may apply for special immigrant juvenile status and, thereafter, apply for a green card.

a. NOTE: The state court must make the findings of abuse, abandonment or neglect and that it is not in the child’s best interest to return to their home country BEFORE the child reaches the age of majority (19 years old in Nebraska, 18 years old in Iowa).

7. Deferred Action for early Childhood Arrivals (DACA). DACA is available to undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. before they were 16 years old, have continuously resided in the U.S. since 2007, are currently enrolled or have graduated from school and have good moral character. a. DACA still exists as of February 5, 2017. However, because DACA was implemented as an executive order during the Obama administration, it can be repealed at any time as the Trump administration has previously vowed to end DACA. A draft DACA, DAPA, and Enforcement Priorities Executive Order ending DACA has been leaked to the media, but has not yet been signed. Stay up to date on news regarding DACA.


i. Will I be deported? There are approximately 700,000 DACA recipients. It would be very difficult and costly to deport this amount of people, but it is a possibility. Consult with an immigration attorney or DOJ representative to search for other immigration benefits you may qualify for.

ii. I haven’t applied for DACA. Should I apply now? Should I renew my DACA? Can I take advance parole? At this time, it is not advisable to submit applications for initial DACA or advanced parole due to the heightened risks. Additionally, you should consult with an immigration attorney or DOJ representative before applying for to renew your DACA.

8. Citizenship. If you are a U.S. citizen, you cannot be deported unless your citizenship was obtained as the result of fraud. There are multiple ways you can qualify for citizenship, the most common way to become a citizen, is by naturalization. Fee waivers are available for citizenship applications. There are 4 ways you can become or maybe already are a U.S. citizen:

a. By Birth. If you are born in the U.S., you are a U.S. citizen as set forth by the Constitution of the United States.

b. By Acquisition. You may already be a U.S. citizen if you were born outside the U.S. to one or more U.S. citizen parent.

c. By Derivation. You may already be a U.S. citizen if you have at least one U.S. citizen parent by birth or naturalization, are under age 18; have a green card, and you are in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent.

d. By Naturalization. Generally, to apply for U.S. citizenship, you must:

  • Have been a lawful permanent resident for 3-5 years, depending on how you were able to obtain your LPR status;
  • Have good moral character; and
  • Speak, read and write proficient English, unless you fall under a disability or age exception to the civics and English exam.


Thanks to Jane Shanahan, who continues her grandmother’s Jesusita Baros’ work of advocating for immigrants in her community.[:es]A continuación va a encontrar una lista de algunos beneficios de inmigración para los cuales puede ser elegible. Encuentre un abogado de inmigración o un representante de DOJ para ayudarle a averiguar si realmente califica para una tarjeta verde (residencia permanente legal), permiso de trabajo o visa, o protegerse de la deportación. Si cree que califica para uno de los siguientes beneficios, hable con su abogado de inmigración o con el representante de DOJ PRIMERO. No trate de solicitar ninguno de estos beneficios por sí mismo, porque puede correr el riesgo de ser colocado en proceso de deportación.

1. Petición del miembro de la familia. Bajo la ley de inmigración corriente, sólo ciertos familiares legales como Residentes Permanentes Legales y Ciudadanos de los EE.UU. pueden solicitar por su pariente inmigrante indocumentado. Los parientes indocumentados pueden tener un proceso consular en su país de origen, dependiendo de cómo ingresaron a los EE.UU. Además, ese pariente indocumentado puede desencadenar una barra de 3 años 10 años, o barra permanente para volver a ingresar a los EE.UU. cuando salen para asistir a su entrevista consular. Si bien hay perdon a las barras de tiempo disponibles para ciertos familiares de ciudadanos de los EE.UU. o Residentes Permanentes Legales, es importante consultar a un abogado de inmigración con experiencia para analizar la probabilidad de la concesión de un perdon.

2. Cancelación de la remoción. La cancelación de la remoción no sólo “cancela” o detiene su proceso de remoción, sino que también puede conducir a la residencia permanente legal en algunas circunstancias. La cancelación de la remoción puede estar disponible para los Residentes Permanentes Legales y los inmigrantes indocumentados:

a. Residente Permanente Legal quien está colocado en los procedimientos de deportación puede calificar para la cancelación de deportación si tiene: i. Ha sido residente permanente por más de 5 años; ii. Tiene 7 años de residencia continua en los EE.UU.; y iii. Buen carácter moral.

b. Inmigrante indocumentado quien está colocado en los procedimientos de deportación puede calificar para la cancelación de remoción si tiene: i. 10 años de residencia continua en los EE.UU.; ii. Buen carácter moral; y iii. Un pariente calificado.

3. Asilo. El asilo es una forma de alivio para las personas que temen la persecución en su país de origen debido a su raza, religión, nacionalidad, pertenencia a un grupo social determinado u opinión política. Debe solicitar asilo dentro del primer año de su última llegada a los EE.UU. Si no solicitó su primer año en los EE.UU., tendrá que superar barreras adicionales para poder solicitar asilo.

a. Tenga en cuenta: Los casos de asilo son extremadamente difíciles de ganar. Debido a la carga pesada de en las cortes de inmigración, los casos de asilo tardan mucho en ser procesados. Desafortunadamente, algunos abogados no éticos han aprovechado este retraso a su favor prometiendo a los clientes un permiso de trabajo en 6 meses mediante la solicitud de asilo, incluso cuando saben que el caso no tiene mérito. Años más tarde, el solicitante de asilo que recibió un permiso de trabajo tiene que luchar su caso en las cortes porque su solicitud fue denegada. Debido a la aplicación carente de mérito, el solicitante de asilo es eventualmente ordenado deportado.

4. La Ley de Violencia contra la Mujer (VAWA): Esposos, niños y padres maltratados. Los esposos, padres o hijos indocumentados o documentados de un Ciudadano Estadounidense o Residente Permanente Legal que hayan sido víctimas de abuso a manos de su esposo, padre o niño Ciudadano Estadounidense pueden solicitar una visa de inmigrante (una tarjeta verde/ residencia permanente).

5. U-Visa. Los inmigrantes indocumentados pueden solicitar esta visa (permiso de trabajo) si han sufrido un crimen calificado en los EE.UU. y están dispuestos o han podido ayudar a las fuerzas del orden y a los oficiales del gobierno en la investigación y/o el enjuiciamiento de la actividad criminal. Después de 3 años con la visa U, el beneficiario de la visa U puede solicitar la residencia permanente.

6. Situación Juvenil Especial de Inmigrantes (SIJS) SIJS está disponible para los niños indocumentados que han sido abusados, abandonados o descuidados por uno o ambos padres y cuyo mejor interés es permanecer en los EE.UU. Después de que un tribunal estatal encuentre lo mencionado, el niño puede solicitar la visa de inmigrante juvenil especial y, después, solicitar residencia permanente. a. Tenga en cuenta: El tribunal estatal debe hacer los hallazgos de abuso, abandono o negligencia y que no es en el mejor interés del niño volver a su país de origen ANTES de que el niño alcance la mayoría de edad (19 años de edad en Nebraska, 18 años de edad en Iowa).

7. Acción Diferida para las Llegadas de la Primera Infancia (DACA). DACA está disponible para los inmigrantes indocumentados que llegaron a los EE.UU. antes de cumplir 16 años, han residido continuamente en los EE.UU. desde 2007, actualmente están matriculados o se han graduado de la escuela y tienen un buen carácter moral.

a. DACA sigue existiendo a partir del 5 de febrero de 2017. Sin embargo, debido a que DACA se implementó como una orden ejecutiva durante la administración del Presidente Obama, puede ser derogada en cualquier momento, ya que la administración del Presidente Trump ha jurado terminar con DACA. Un proyecto de DACA, DAPA y Orden Ejecutiva de Prioridades de Cumplimiento que termina la DACA fue revelado a los medios, pero aún no se ha firmado. Manténgase al día sobre las noticias relacionadas con DACA.

i. Preguntas más frecuentes:

  • ¿Yo seré deportado? Hay aproximadamente 700,000 beneficiarios de DACA. Sería muy difícil y costoso deportar a esta cantidad de personas, pero es una posibilidad. Consulte con un abogado de inmigración o un representante de DOJ para buscar otros beneficios de inmigración para los cuales usted califique.
  • No he aplicado para DACA. ¿Debo aplicar ahora? ¿Debo renovar mi DACA? ¿Puedo tomar una libertad condicional anticipada? En este momento, no es aconsejable presentar solicitudes de DACA inicial o libertad condicional anticipada debido a los mayores riesgos. Además, debe consultar con un abogado de inmigración o representante de DOJ antes de solicitar la renovación de su DACA.

8. Ciudadanía. Si usted es ciudadano de los EE.UU., no puede ser deportado a menos que su ciudadanía haya sido obtenida como resultado de fraude. Hay varias maneras en que puede calificar para la ciudadanía, la forma más común de convertirse en un ciudadano, es por naturalización. Las exenciones de cuotas están disponibles para las aplicaciones de ciudadanía. Hay 4 maneras en las que puedes llegar a ser o quizás ya eres ciudadano de los EE.UU.

a. Por nacimiento. Si usted nació en los EE.UU., usted es un ciudadano estadounidense según lo establecido por la Constitución de los EE.UU.

b. Por Adquisición. Es posible que ya sea ciudadano de los EE.UU. si nació fuera de los EE.UU. a uno o más padres de los EE.UU.

c. Por Derivación. Es posible que ya sea ciudadano de los EE.UU. si tiene al menos un padre ciudadano de los EE.UU. por nacimiento o naturalización; usted es menor de 18 años; usted tiene una tarjeta verde; y usted está en la custodia legal y física de su padre ciudadano de los EE.UU.

d. Por naturalización. Generalmente, para solicitar la ciudadanía de los EE.UU. usted debe:

i. Haber sido Residente Permanente Legal por 3 o 5 años, dependiendo de cómo usted fue capaz de obtener su estado LPR;

ii. Tener buen carácter moral; y

iii. Hablar, leer y escribir inglés proficiente, a menos que te encuentres bajo una excepción de discapacidad o edad a el examen cívica y de inglés.


Gracias a Jane Shanahan, que continúa el trabajo de su abuela Jesúsita Baros, el de abogar por los inmigrantes en su comunidad.[:]